Friday, January 6, 2012

The Great Outdoors.




Current music selection 
One song on Repeat: You Were There via Avalon.
Current state of mind 
Joyous. 
Current thoughts


I feel inclined to blog again. :). I suppose I go through phases of activity and inactivity!! 
My 25th birthday is rapidly approaching. And for Christmas I received a hiking GPS as one of my presents that I am dying to put to outdoorsy use. So, folks, I have no other choice than to greet my mid-twenties on Monday with some solo backpacking to break in said GPS and enjoy the great outdoors. I plan on a two nights stay, but will play it by ear (perhaps I’ll feel extra venturesome and decide to extend my stay in nature another day). I concede that it will be chilly, but clothing has a wonderful ability to be layered, I have a good collection of Under Armour, and I’ll be traveling during the day; hence, burning calories and heating my body. I also recognize there is a tiny bit of danger to this, but I’ll be sure to take precautions and not put myself in harm’s way. I have let fear and ‘what might happen’ dominate my life for far too long; I don’t want to limit the depths of my soul searching to places I deem have sufficient safety nets. I refuse to give into my fear this time. . .I have adequately researched. . .now I simply need to take a leap of faith. I've wanted to do a solitary mountain trip for a long time. And I am thoroughly excited to have quality alone time. . .just me and God. I’ll be relishing in it. . .cherishing it. I love people (so very much), but I also crave the peace and quietness of my own company and the peace and fullness of God’s presence. There is no use in attempting to talk me out of this personal excursion: I will be going into the mountains on a companionless adventure to welcome in the second half of my twenties. I may even dabble in some geocaching while I am in the mountains. I am certainly taking my bible for study--I want this to be an intensely spiritual experience in all respects. . .befitting of where I am at in my life and directed toward the life I desire to live. After all, in the end it is solely God and I. . .and that is quite enough. Through all of my successes and all my mistakes and struggles, God has held my hand. And He has patiently awaited my return. And now I have returned. Returned at last. Returned forever more. God's grace has a fuller, richer, deeper meaning to me now. I am so incredibly blessed with the people present in my life, and the opportunities I've been given. May my life be a life that glorifies our creator--this is not only my birthday wish, it’s my lifelong wish. And I pray it’s your wish as well. 
I might as well throw in some pictures of previous geocaching:

Our very first discovered cache box (after three prior geocaching attempts at alternate locations); Tyler is acquiring it so we can empty the contents held within.

The contents to the first cache. . .definitely craptastic, but tremendously exciting regardless.

Signing the first log book.

 The seasonal item we decided to trade our uncovered junky treasure with. 

 The cache box safely tucked away as we found it. . .safe from the attraction of muggles.


Our second cache finding. . .tricky, tricky!!


Our third cache finding--parking lot lamp post location.


 Tyler, lamp post, coffee.

 Dead pollinating insects. AND. Our cache box!! Victorious yet again!!


Second geocaching expedition with a larger group of friends.

 Lacie and her husband--mid geocache search. <3

 Game plan. 


 Discussion--we had been to a few geocache spots on this trip to no avail. . .


Y.E.S.


 That nose and those bushy eyebrows and 'stache were meant for my face. . .nature shorthanded me; thus, I must wear counterfeit.


 More people should own and sport a pair of these sensational glasses. Look at Tyler--his eyes speak volumes. . .look how happy he is!!


Oh, Holls, you pull these glasses off so well!!! What a splendidly hairy woman we have here!!


After a steep climb down rocks. . .near water.

 I simply love you Lacie!! Yay for geocaching!!


Tyler and I.

 Our last attempted spot. . .


Geocaching was unsuccessful this trip, but still fun with the people involved!!!

 Holly and I invented Bent-Bean-caching and played it from time to time.


There's not many things more exciting than discovering a note with a good hint concerning the stowed away Bent-Bean-Caching mascot: our creepy Halloween rat.


Sleep is near; so, I am going to close this blog with a beautiful, heart-pulling parable that resonates greatly with me (The lost son parable in Luke 15:11-32):

Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them. “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.“When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him. “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate. “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on.‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’ “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’ “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’” 

:). Goodnight dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones